Joseph F. Marsh, Sr., was the president of Concord from 1929-45. In the administration of "Dr. Marsh" as he was called affectionately, there came again the ideals and attitudes of Captain French, and an equal number of years of inspiring service. He had a rich and varied experience in the field of education prior to coming to Concord. He taught in primary and secondary schools and served as secretary to the State Board of Education for several years.

His fine idealistic philosophy is stated in the catalog issued in 1929... "to be a guide to the Golden Treasury of Learning". Students were urged to "follow the gleam" as Tennyson suggested. Concord became distinguished for school spirit, sense of honor and wholesome constructive attitudes, as well as the finest conceptions of religion. Members of the faculty were in accord with the aims and the hopes of the students. The college stressed courtesy, high ethical standards, scholarship, character

 

and the desire to learn and serve. The expansion and complexity of the administration from this time was rapid under President Marsh, known as the "Builder". The school became known as "The Friendly College on the Campus Beautiful". The growth in both curriculum and physical aspects was steady and powerful. The music department became on of the best in the state. Other departments that became of great service were commerce, speech, library science, home economics and physical education.

Construction on the campus included a new gymnasium, the home management house, the library, the menīs dormitory, the New Hall for Women, as well as faculty homes and a home for the President. New organizations on the campus were added, including interest clubs, societies and honor groups, to advance student activities. A college health service was established, with Dr. Uriah Vermillion as the school physician.

One of the significant changes came in 1931, when the name of the institution was changed to Concord State Teachers College. In 1943, the college became Concord College. The changes in the name indicated the broadening programs of the college.