This arrival comes to us from The Northwest Lexington Club, an organization of World War II veterans that served aboard the U.S.S. Lexington CV2 that was sunk on May 8, 1942 in the Battle of the Coral Sea and Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Reynolds. Her son, Lt. (jg) Edward Max Price, attended Concord State College from the Fall of 1933 until June 1935. He was a veteran of World War II, serving his country until his death aboard the U.S.S. Lexington, May 8, 1942. Lt. Priceīs mother has donated a photo album and plaque, along with various letters and photos detailing her sonīs life. It is with great honor to provide you with samples of the items that the library was able to scan to "show off" one of Concordīs more heroic alumni. Taken from what looks to be an official Navy publication, we’ve detailed Lt. Priceīs duties and final actions aboard the U.S.S. Lexington during the Battle of Coral Sea.  

   "Lieutenant (j.g.) Edward Max Price, of Princeton and Charleston, was killed on the U.S.S. "Lexington" in the Battle of Coral Sea on May 8, 1942. Lieutenant Price was officer in charge of weapons in the after control station of the "Lexington." He was responsible for the training and action of the automatic gun crews, and when in battle he directed the aim for his gunners. On the second day of the Coral Sea Battle, the Japenese were coming at the "Lexington" from all directions. The dive bombers zoomed close. Their deadly missils fell all about the marked ship. The men were too busy to think of dodging them. Their minds were on their jobs. Their young officerīs attention was focused on the job he had to do- fight off the Japenese planes. A bomb whistled close- then exploded. A fragment struck Lieutenant Price. He died giving the command "Keep firing!!" And the gun crew did. Although the "Lexington" sank later that day, those surviving shipmates remembered the young lieutenant and his orders."

Hargrave Military Academy days

Lt. Price Obituary

Purple Heart Certificate

Letter from the U.S.S. “Price”

Shipping off to the Lexington

Entering Naval Academy

School news clipping

U.S.S. “Price”, named in memory of Lt. Price

U.S.S. “Price” ceremony picture

U.S.S. “Price”, at sea

Managing editor of the Concordian, 1935

Ed Price, President of Chi Beta Phi, 1935

Ed Price, Secretary of Delta Delta Delta Tau, 1935

   William Harbour, a shipmate, who was directly under him in the ammunition handling room when the bomb exploded, told the most complete story of his galant death. Mr. Harbour, later released from the Navy to become an aviation cadet in the Army Air Corps, said further: "My first three Japanese planes will be offered as a token to the memory of Lieutenant Edward Max Price."

   He attended Lincoln Grade School in Charleston; Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Virginia; Concord State College, Athens, West Virginia; and the United States Naval Academy with the highest scholastic record in the class. He was valedictorian, and received medals for scholarship and marksmanship on the rifle team, and an award for being the most outstanding senior of the year. His high record was maintained at the Naval Academy where he ranked twenty-sixth in a class of 550. On graduation from the Academy he was assigned to the "Lexington" as an ensign. In the line of duty, his superiors rated him as a "splendid officer."

   Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, commander in chief of the Pacific Fleet, commended the young officer in a citation for bravery: "He contributed immeasurably to the destruction wrought on the attacking aircraft by skillfully directing the fire of his batteries. He perished at his battle station carrying out his duties in the best tradition of the Naval Service."

   On October 20, 1943, the glistening hull of a destroyer escort slid down the ways from Conolidation Steel Corporation shipyards in Orange, Texas. Her banners waved proudly as the spectators cheered the return of Lieutenant Priceīs name to Americaīs roster of fighters in action."