Arthur S. Thorn, who was principal of Concord from 1901 to 1906, was a graduate of Emery and Henry College, and was a Methodist minister. Prior to coming to Concord, he taught at the old Princeton Academy. Under his administration, several innovations were made. The teacher training program was strengthened, and was established as a separate department in 1904. Under Thorn, classes were started in the "Model School". The YMCA was organized in 1903, and a requirement of daily attendance was set up. During this period the first alumni banquet, called a "Reunion" was held.